RECIPE: South Beach Diet’s Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert – Phase 1

RECIPE:  South Beach Diet's - Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert - Phase 1

In my constant pursuit to find healthy Chocolate recipes, I decided to try the South Beach Diet’s Mocha Ricotta Creme.  It’s a Phase 1 dessert recipe and given it only has 6 ingredients, I thought, “Even better!”

So here we go…

Mocha Ricotta Creme

RECIPE: South Beach Diet's - Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert - Phase 1

The ingredients:  Part-skim Riccota Cheese, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Vanilla Extract, Sugar Substitute (i.e., Splenda), Espresso Powder (or ground coffee), Chocolate Chips

Ricotta cheese, lemon juice, vanilla extract, Splenda

RECIPE:  South Beach Diet's - Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert - Phase 1

Like this!  See the white specks?  This is the Spenda that I couldn’t get to blend thoroughly.  So I decided it was good enough.

RECIPE:  South Beach Diet's - Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert - Phase 1

Chill and serve with a dusting of espresso powder and sprinkle with the Chocolate Chips.   I couldn’t find any espresso powder at the grocery store, so I just took some ground coffee and smashed it with the end of a wood spoon handle until it was ground finer.

It worked!

As you can tell from the list of the ingredients this isn’t one of your “knock your socks off” desserts.  Those of you that have an incredible sweet tooth will find this incredibly bland.  I think, however, it’s not bad and actually satisfies the Chocolate urge for a while.  You can thank the Chocolate Chips for that! 🙂

If you’d like to make it, here’s the recipe!

Mocha Ricotta Creme

1/2 Cup part-skim ricotta creme
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package (or 2 teaspoons) sugar substitute
Dash espresso powder (or finely ground coffee)
5 mini Chocolate Chips (I used regular sized ones – heck with it!)

Mix together the ricotta, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sugar substitute in a dessert bowl. Serve chilled with a dusting of espresso powder and sprinkle with the mini Chocolate Chips.

Serves 1

Nutrition at a Glance – Per Serving:

Calories:  261
Protein: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fat: 14 g
Saturated fats: 9 g
Sodium: 166 mg
Cholesterol: 42 mg
Fiber: 0 g

Enjoy!

20 Responses to “RECIPE: South Beach Diet’s Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert – Phase 1”

1. Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 25, 2011 @ 5:03 AM (#

I do something similar with fat free Greek yogurt (smoother and thicker than ricotta) and Scharffen Berger cocoa powder. No chocolate chips, though, I don’t like whole chocolate chips or chunks with cold things because they don’t melt properly.

• gotchocolate replied: — January 25th, 2011 @ 6:08 AM

Hi Victoria. I’m sure hearing a lot about Greek yogurt lately? Does it taste better than regular yogurt. By regular, I mean, Yoplait or TIllamook. I personally can’t stnad Yoplait. Too sweet and because the sugar content is so high I get VERY sleepy. NOT a good thing to have happen at work.

I really liked the Chocolate Chips myself. To me, it made the Mocha Ricotta Creme palatable. Just MY opinion though.

Have a GREAT day Victoria! 🙂

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention RECIPE: South Beach Diet’s Mocha Ricotta Creme Dessert – Phase 1 -- Topsy.com

3. Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 25, 2011 @ 7:22 PM (#

It’s the texture that’s way better than normal yogurt – when you mix in the cocoa powder, it’s like a mousse (sort of). And I only get the plain kind, so no added sugars.

• Laura Rucker replied: — January 25th, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

Wow, now THAT sounds heavenly. I’m going to look for this Greek yogurt at my local grocery store this weekend. Seriously, I’ve been hearing A LOT about it, so am VERY curious to try it now.

Thanks Victoria! 🙂

4. Lisa — January 29, 2012 @ 7:56 PM (#

I wonder why Splenda is needed. Honey or organic cane sugar could be a good substitute as Splenda is an artificial sweetener which I feel is no better than any other artificial sweetener. It isn’t sugar no matter how you slice or dice it. Change form you change function. Considering all the other ingredients that have sugar in them why use Splenda. Anyhow, I will try this recipe with honey.

• Laura Rucker replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Lisa, you’re right! I’m slowly finding out that real sugar IS better than chemicals. I made this recipe a while back and was just following the recipe. Please let us know how it turns out if you get a chance. Thanks! 🙂

• Dana replied: — April 11th, 2016 @ 1:53 PM

Phase 1 of South Beach Diet is pretty strict and would not allow sugar and / or honey. I have been staying away from fake sugars as well, but for these two weeks, you wouldn’t be able to use the honey.

5. Lisa — January 30, 2012 @ 8:43 AM (#

I did make a version of your recipe. I warmed up frozen blueberries added a bit of honey then blended with some frozen bananas, added to ricotta and put in freezer to firm up. Tasted quite nice, very mild but yummy.

• Laura Rucker replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Awesome! I like you’re recipe WAY better! Thank you so much for sharing your results. It’s nice to hear it tasted good. That’s what we all want, of course. I wonder what your recipe would taste like with a smidgen of shaved dark chocolate on it? Ha ha! Thanks again, Lisa! 🙂

6. JJ — January 31, 2012 @ 5:58 PM (#

I have made this many times and if you are looking for something creamier without using Greek yogurt, try tossing this recipe in the blender or food processor. It blends up nicely and is more the consistency of pudding.

7. Lea — May 3, 2012 @ 3:19 PM (#

thank you for this! I’m not much of a sweet person so this is perfect for shutting up my cravings for something sweet, i froze it a bit and it was a bit like a mousse, also kind of taste like a cappuccino ice cream, either way its delicious, light and refreshing! thanks for sharing 🙂

8. Alyssa — February 6, 2013 @ 5:35 PM (#

I found it to be amazing, thank you!

9. Veronica — April 22, 2013 @ 8:11 AM (#

It is awesome in the blender. I usually add a splash of milk. It is also yummy with peanut butter.

10. Anonymous — June 8, 2013 @ 8:05 PM (#

Hi Laura. Thank you for the pictures and recipe. This is delicious! I ussed 1-1/2 tsp of coconut palm sugar instead of Splenda.

11. Lindsay N. — June 9, 2013 @ 2:01 AM (#

I think this looks fantastic! I love ricotta cheese, but I’ve never tried it in anything like this before.

12. http://www.vincyhomecoming.org/ — February 22, 2014 @ 12:39 AM (#

physical fitness is in fact wonderful

13. Pat Nixon — July 4, 2014 @ 6:07 AM (#

Very nice
    Tasty

14. Dianna fenton — October 9, 2014 @ 8:18 PM (#

Hi! I just wanted to add my adapted recipe, only 3 ingredients.
    I didn’t want to use any artificial ingredients and decided to give this a
    whirl without going to the grocery one night.
    I put a TB of pure vanilla extract in the bottom of my bowl and threw in a palmful of chocolate chips. Any flavor chip will do, my favorite is white.
    Heat for 30 secs in microwave, stir to melt. Add ricotta. Again, I don’t
    measure, don’t really count calories, just like to eat healthy.
    (If you do measure id say about 10 chips for 1/2 cup ricotta)
    Stir the ricotta into the chocolate “sauce” to blend.
    Then you’re done. It’s really good actually. I like to add berries
    sometimes too. Or do a vanilla, good honey, and cinnamon mix.

15. Dianna fenton — October 9, 2014 @ 8:24 PM (#

I hope my earlier comment/recipe makes sense! My computer was being weird and scrambling my words and sentences. I think I got it straightened out lol!