RECIPE: Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies

My high school friend, Kim Beck, (hopefully a soon-to-be-famous author) was kind enough to share with me her unique spin on the classic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

Kim’s mother-in-law came up with this recipe, which simply has you reduce the amount of granulated sugar to 1/4 cup and add one small box of vanilla pudding.

It’s as simple as that!  The vanilla flavor is subtle, but I think you’ll find they’re very good and a nice addition to your Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes.

Here’s the recipe with the modifications.  Give it a try!

Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/4 cup granular sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12 oz.) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375*F.
COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.     Makes about 5 dozen cookies

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.     Makes 4 dozen bars

FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (5,200 feet): Increase flour to 2 1/2 cups. Add 2 tsp. water with flour and reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake drop cookies for 8 to 20 minutes and pan cookie for 17 to 19 minutes.

Do you have a Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe you’d like to share?  Don’t be shy, I’d love to hear from you. 🙂

12 Responses to “RECIPE: Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Faythe@GMT — March 4, 2010 @ 12:53 PM (#

uuummm, sure sounds yummy!
    Just one question…. does she use instant pudding or must cook pudding mix?

• MsWonka replied: — March 4th, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

Hi Faythe! Oh sorry, yes, instant pudding mix. I’ll make the change in the recipe. Good eye! THANKS! The dough is a bit dry to me, but seemed to bake up just fine. 🙂

THANKS!!!!!!!

2. Faythe@GMT — March 4, 2010 @ 8:39 PM (#

good to know!

I wonder if a couple of tablespoons of milk would moisten it up ( for the pudding ya know?) or 1/2 cup of applesauce is always good for moisture in a recipe…

maybe we can make up a new chocolate cookie & win a prize!! like a giant dark chocolate winners cup filled with Bailey’s liquor???

• MsWonka replied: — March 4th, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Good idea and that sounds like about how much could be added. Just a guess though. The small box of instant pudding mix is nowhere near the 1/2 cup of granulated sugar that is removed from the original recipe, so this is why it was dry.

Hmmm…

3. Faythe@GMT — March 5, 2010 @ 11:21 AM (#

well… the dry pudding is close enough to the sugar mix… I will try the milk or applesauce additions…
    now if we needed it sweeter… we can add more chocolate chips!!

• MsWonka replied: — March 5th, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

Actually, I found the recipe to have even more chips her dough ball because of the reduction of sugar. Nice!

4. Kim — March 7, 2010 @ 9:57 AM (#

Hey! I’m glad you liked the cookies. My kids love them.

Also yummy to try is substituting chocolate instant pudding for the vanilla! Double the delish!

ps – thanks for link to one of my flashes — I have another that just came out in 6S The Love Book — an actual print book you can by at Amazon.
    Fingers crossed on the soon to be published novelist biz– 4 agents have the manuscript right now. The waiting is excruciating. 🙂

• MsWonka replied: — March 7th, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Wow, I wouldn’t have thought to try the instant Chocolate pudding mix instead of the vanilla. Now I’ll HAVE to try that version. 🙂

CONGRATULATIONS on the agents reviewing your books. That is SOOOOOOOO cool!!! 🙂

5. Kim — March 7, 2010 @ 9:58 AM (#

typo — ‘you can buy at Amazon’ ugh!

• MsWonka replied: — March 7th, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Noted! THANKS!!! 🙂

6. Blues nhl fan gear — May 5, 2014 @ 12:01 AM (#

Nike Steelers White new jerseys sale

7. Anonymous — September 20, 2017 @ 9:27 AM (#

I question when you say reduce sugar to 2/3 c each for high alt. The original recipe called for l/4 c gran sugar and 3/4 c brown sugar. Is this a typo? Thank you