Frango’s Mint Chocolates – A Quick History

Frango's Mint ChocolatesIf you’ve never had a Frango’s Mint Chocolate, you are truly missing out on one of Chocolate’s finest.

These little individually wrapped Chocolates are rectangular in shape, have a nice firm center and a smooth, minty truffle taste and texture that will have you wanting more.

Lots more!

After eating a few (I’m not telling you how many) of these Chocolate delicacies, I grew curious as to their origin.

As I’m always telling people who ask me questions I don’t know,  I decided to “Google It” to see what I could find.

I found it interesting to learn that Frango mints were created way back in 1918 when they were created by Frederick & Nelson, a Seattle-based department store. Another interesting tidbit is that the Frango was originally the name for a frozen dessert sold at the sophisticated Tea Room at Frederick & Nelson’s department store. But it wasn’t until 1927 when Ray Alden, who ran Frederick’s in-store candy kitchen, developed the Frango mint meltaway Chocolate.

Interesting!  Boy am I glad Ray developed the Frango into what it is today.

Then in 1929, Marshall Field’s bought out Frederick & Nelson, ordering the Chocolatiers to come to Chicago and introduce the Frango to the Marshall Field’s stores in an effort to improve slumping sales during the Great Depression.  It wasn’t long before the Marshall Field Chocolatiers came up with their own Midwestern version of the Frango.  It also was during this time that the packaging for Frango Chocolates changed.  The Midwestern Chocolates were sold in traditional flat candy boxes, with the chocolates set in candy papers, while the Northwest’s packing consisted of individually wrapped Chocolates sold in distinctive hexagon-shaped boxes.

Fast forward a few decades, 2005 to be specific, with Macy’s having bought out the Marshall Field stores.  Then, in the summer of 2009, Macy’s announced Chicago candy maker, Cupid Candies, would start the production of it’s famous Frango Mint Chocolates, as well as their other flavors.

I’m glad to hear Frango Chocolates will be around for a while.

I hope you found this brief history of the Frango Chocolate interesting.  I did.  Sometimes it’s interesting to know the history of something you are visiting, or in this case, EATING.

As always, your comments are welcome!  Thank you for your time!

12 Responses to “Frango’s Mint Chocolates – A Quick History”

1. Lauren — November 26, 2012 @ 8:19 AM (#

Hi my cousin just gave me a box of your mints. I see no expiration date on the box just a few letters and would like to know how to read your codes. The UPC is 7 20227 42000 8 and the code is 12441 on the side of the box. Thank u
    Lauren

2. Robin — January 15, 2014 @ 11:24 AM (#

Did you ever notice that when you eat away the top layer of the Frango that there is a patterned chocolate underneath? I am a mint connoisseur and I love to dissect mint patties and other minty treasures–that’s when i noticed that it appears there is an entirely different chocolate candy beneath the Frango!!!

• Anonymous replied: — December 9th, 2015 @ 2:25 PM

Hello,

My coworker and I just noticed that as well. I actually work for Macy’s and we plan to figure this out!

3. abdul — September 4, 2014 @ 9:28 PM (#

Dear Sir /Madam,

We are a company Marvelous Impex (Pvt) Ltd our main activities are export, import& trading International Located In Pakistan, Gujranwala.

We got your company detail from relevant sources. We are group of the companies here in Pakistan. Our branch office in Azerbaijan Baku and furnishes in Blekon and Republic of Moldova. We are interesting to import your following products for our region.

All kin of sugar free product,confectionery etc

If you are interested to do business with us so please send us price list catalogue and smaples above mentioned product.

Looking forward for your kind reply.

With best Regards
    Abdul Latif
    (Chairmen)

Marvelous Impex Pvt Ltd
    Suigas Road Medina Market
    Rana House Gujranwala Pakistan
    Tele: 92 55 4556955, 56, 57
    Fax:+92 55 4556958
    Email: info@marvelousimpex.com
    Web: http://www.marvelousimpex.com

4. Linda Fogarty — December 12, 2014 @ 11:17 AM (#

Are Frango Mints Gluten Free

• Anonymous replied: — January 3rd, 2015 @ 12:35 PM

According to the box Frango mints don’t have Gluten but they are produced on shared equipment that does produce products with wheat. So no. Same goes for those with peanut allergies.

5. Terrell — February 15, 2015 @ 7:21 PM (#

If you are going for best contents like I do, just go to see this site everyday because it gives feature contents,
    thanks

6. Laura Graf — August 20, 2015 @ 1:12 PM (#

Why were they called “Frango”? It seems possible that it was a way of including the “Fr” in Frederick and the “N” in Nelson, but not necessarily.

Just curious –

7. Erin — September 26, 2015 @ 8:40 AM (#

Frango mint chocolates have gluten in them don’t eat them
    Its not just gluten free you will get super sick

I know this stuff too well you will get alot of stomach ache problems and get sick to you’re stomach

8. Who makes Frango Mints? — November 11, 2015 @ 4:05 PM (#

Does Cupid Candies still make Frango Mints? If not, who manufactures the Frango Mints sold in the Chicago are.

Thank you.

9. 94Tommie — July 28, 2017 @ 1:03 AM (#

Hello blogger, i must say you have hi quality content here.

Your page can go viral. You need initial traffic only. How to get it?
    Search for: Mertiso’s tips go viral

10. FirstLorna — September 25, 2017 @ 4:11 AM (#

I see you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste
    your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month
    because you’ve got high quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra money, search for: Mrdalekjd methods for $$$